Sunday 14 July 2013

The evil Red House of Essex

The evil Red House of Essex

Is the Red House in Goodmayes the hell mouth of Essex?


Deep in the wilds of Essex is a suburb named Goodmayes. In years gone by it was known for the sprawling Goodmayes hospital complex, a home for the clinically insane. The hospital used to take up a great deal of the area, but much of it has now been closed or relocated. However, Goodmayes has not lost any of its eeriness. The 'Red House' on Goodmayes lane is one of the creepiest buildings in the area. I would go so far as to say it's our town's 'Amityville Horror'.
Why does it stand out? It is painted a sinister shade of scarlet, a horrific 'blood red'. Could the house have been smeared with the essence of its numerous unwilling victims? Is it in fact a meeting place for the 'Satanists of Essex' regional group? Is the red a signpost for a secret society's meeting place? There are so many unanswered questions.
You just can't miss it when driving down Goodmayes lane. Some may describe it as an eyesore, others think it's a quirky way to make a statement. I, however, believe that there is more to this symbolic building than meets the eye. I went to investigate.
The creaky iron gate at the entrance was stuck fast, so brute force was needed to open it. There were bags of rubbish at the entrance ready for collection. I have never seen anyone enter or leave the house but took this as a sign that somebody was in. The entrance is a heavy wooden door along with the number '69' nailed crudely into the side wall. It's a gothic-looking black cast iron sign (only adding to the satanic/evil look).
After ringing the loud chiming doorbell several times there was no reply. I waited, presumably for some little old lady slowly making her way to greet me. But inside I doubted this. The Red House looks as though it is home to a dark lord. A giant horned creature with claws ready to drag unsuspecting visitors into it's abyss - visitors like me!
Just as I was about to ring the doorbell a fourth time a biting chill wind suddenly came from nowhere. The house didn't want me there, I got the message and didn't stick around. Once I had stopped running from this Essex Hellmouth I managed to take a few pictures. The photographs do not do it justice. In all its years the paint has never faded, as if some supernatural force is keeping it fresh.
Am I a nosy neighbour? Possibly, but there is more to the Goodmayes Red House than meets the eye. Will I ever be privy to it's secrets? Only time will tell. This semi-detached in our leafy suburb is anything but ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment